Create beautiful etched illustrations,
a hypothetical app redesign
Research & Analysis
I set out to identify and learn the problems that users are experiencing and make them concrete which is crucial in order to redesign the app. To gain a greater understanding of the user's pain points and insights, I conducted two methods of research: Heuristic Evaluation and User Reviews Analysis.
After reviewing the Etchings app I came to the following conclusions:
- App asks for camera and camera roll permissions whilst you're in the mindset of etching a photo
- If permissions are denied there's no backup solution which renders the app useless
- It's not clear that the tick icon means that you're done etching a photo
- Cancel button doesn't prompt that the etching will go unsaved
- I was asked to rate the app after I canceled an etching
User Reviews Analysis
58 reviews in total
Reviews from the App Store:
"...I wish there were more effects."
"You are forced to crop to a square, very limited filters"
"I wish there was more control for aspect ratio"
"I wish that I could etch full photos and change the aspect ratio"
"Why limit the effect to square when most of our photos are not 1:1 proportion?"
However, there's still 62.1% of positive reviews (5 stars). I think that could be because of:
- App works as advertised
- Users feel artistic and empowered by the ease of use
- Enhances artists workflow
- Works well posting on social media platforms
- It's just plain fun to play with the etchings
- Users would use the app more if there were more effects
- Users would be more satisfied if they had a wider range of aspect ratios to choose from
- Users are annoyed that they have to pay to access more etchings
Ideation and solutions
- Introduce crop feature
- Investigate how to remind users to enable permissions
- Consider replacing the tick icon with a text label
- Introduce an 'are you sure?' dialog after tapping the Cancel icon
- Review timing of the rating dialog